- Nancy was promoted to Executive Director in 2015.
- After years working for an insurance company and volunteering as coordinator of Temple Israel’s fund raising bingo game, Nancy became Temple Secretary in 1998, continuing to run the bingo game.
- Serves as the heart of the Temple’s communication system, keeping the calendar of upcoming events, creating the weekly Shabbat booklet and the monthly Temple Bulletin.
- Is the first person visitors see and is often the first one callers talk to. Fortunately she is wonderfully amiable and remembers everybody.
- Was recently named Jewish Hero of Tidewater for her extensive volunteer work with the Temple Israel Women’s Chevra Kaddishah (the group that performs loving rituals to prepare the departed for funeral and burial), for making the world’s best kugels for Kiddush luncheons, for volunteering at the zoo each week, and for helping others in many ways.
- Appeared in Temple Israel’s very first bulletin in 1954 as having been born, thus making Nancy a member of Temple Israel all of her life, and all of its life.
- Is active in many other capacities as well including reading haftarah and performing in the Purim Schpiels.
- Finds her greatest pride in her son Brandon Metheny.
- Grew up in the foothills of the Catskill Mountains in Oneonta, New York
- Moved to Norfolk in 1995
- Has worked for a variety of non-profit organizations: Galway Public Library, Disabled American Veterans, Elizabeth River Project, Habitat for Humanity, and Virginia Zoological Park
- Enjoys exploring sites on the Virginia Birding and Wildlife Trails and spending time at home with her “furry and feathered babies”
- Has kept the building running since 1995.
- Fixes what is broken, sets up for events, maintains the heating and cooling equipment.
- Advises all departments on technical matters.
- Is master maker of Temple Israel’s famed tuna fish salad.
- As father of three teens, Anthony, Kayla and Avery, he Is friend to all the Temple children.
- Born in Puerto Rico, raised in New York
- Married and came to Norfolk.
- Has two grown children, one a soldier in the US Army
- Formerly employed by Norfolk Collegiate
- Helps in all branches of Temple life to make events go smoothly