Families that share religious life with their children are stronger.We want to make participation affordable. We welcome families of all sizes, ages and compositions, including ones whose members are progressing along a journey to learn about the Jewish faith. Women, as well as men, are encouraged to participate fully in daily, Shabbat and holiday services, including chanting aliyahs and Torah readings as well as leading Hebrew and English prayers. Part of our mission to serve our members involves providing an affordable dues structure, which offers savings to single-parent families and to enlisted military. Temple Israel is a member of the Union of Conservative Judaism and provides full services, twice daily and on all the holidays.
Membership categories include:
- Individual or Family Membership
- Single-Parent Family Membership
- Enlisted Active Military Membership
- Associate Membership (for full members in good standing of other area synagogues) includes the option of enrolling children in our Sunday Religious School.
Serving Those Who Serve
- To honor those who serve our country, we offer reduced dues for active military enlisted families and individuals.
- Our long-time links to the military involve many aspects of Temple life:
- Our Outreach Volunteer Mark Solberg helps us welcome and accommodate the needs of military families new to the area.
- When new children enter our school at any time of year, our professional teaching staff are particularly sensitive to their special needs until they feel at home here.
- When active-duty military personnel find themselves in town over the Jewish holidays, away from family, we strive to include them in family settings, to enhance their enjoyment of the sacred days.
- Over the years, it has been our privilege to send sets of prayer books to Navy vessels that need them for the conduct of Jewish worship. We are happy to entertain requests to put prayer texts into sailors’ hands.
Dues from memberships are the primary source of synagogue funds. The synagogue is run by an elected board of directors and officers, who hire clergy and administrative staff to oversee the physical plant. Standard rates apply for singles and families. Please call the synagogue office at 757-489-4550 for more information, to meet Rabbi Michael Panitz and to schedule a tour.